Oct 28, 2013

The Best Soup I Ever Made

I am not a HUGE soup person, but when fall weather hits, and I realize I have an abundance of squash, I try to make it a little more because it fills our bellies and seems so healthy.
I was watching the Food Network, and the Barefoot Contessa made this Winter Minestrone that looked pretty good.  Then I went online to look at the recipe, and although there were a lot of ingredients and steps, most everyone that reviewed it said it was just fantastic.  So I was sold.

One of my very favorite things is to make complete meals from scratch, and make them with things we have harvested or purchased locally.  I remember one time in Lincoln we had a dinner of elk steak, homegrown potatoes, and applesauce.  I felt so proud, and it all tasted better because I took the time to make it or grow it.  That's just about how this soup was for me--almost completely from our garden and sooo tasty with those Wyoming soil nutrients. 

I will definitely be growing more shelling beans next summer.  They were a riot with the kids to shell, and they look so pretty in my jars.  And they have a really nice, mild taste.
I had to make a few substitutions...I didn't use any pancetta and I just put in some cut up tomatoes (that were getting mushy on the counter) and also didn't use spinach.  
The pesto and wine were critical, and I think those ingredients are what really kicked up the taste.

Cash saw the herbs I hung up and made an "I don't understand what is going on here" face.  I just wanted to be new age-y and look like I know what I'm doing.

Butternut squash is currently my favorite squash.

And though the soup was sooooo delicious, the kids barely ate any.  Tyler had a cold and earache, and Cash had a full-blown ear infection.  That just meant more for me!
(of course no photos of the soup cooking, because I was too busy with other things!)

1 comment:

  1. Yum! I will have to try it. We make a minestrone with spinach, carrots, tomatoes and ditalini pasta that I could eat about once a week. Some good bread, a glass of wine and call it dinner :)

    ReplyDelete