Jan 27, 2012

30 Day Challenge: 5 Years Ago


January 2007, Cross-Country Skiing
My love for the outdoors will never change!

 I missed yesterday's challenge to write about how I have changed since 5 years ago, and I wanted to include it so I decided to do it today.  Today's challenge was supposed to be what songs are on your iPod, and I lost mine a year ago so I can't do that very easily (I still keep hoping it will turn up).


Five years ago I was busy planning a wedding.  I had finally convinced Shawn to propose the summer before and we decided to get married in the summer of 2007.  Since then, the obvious things have changed, such as my last name, the number of people in my family...the car I drive. 
I think one of the major changes is that I have become more aware of how to be a human.  With kids I have a lot more patience than before, and I try to not be in such a hurry.  I also am trying to be more compassionate, having gone through a few experiences where I realized I wasn't. 
Another major difference is that I feel involved in and part of my community.  It may not be my "paradise," but I feel I am making a difference.  I was just at the post office, hardware store, doctor's clinic, and thrift store (pretty much every business in town!) and I knew the workers by their first and last names.  I couldn't say that 5 years ago. 
And the other major thing that has happened in the last 5 years is I look for opportunities to volunteer in some way.  I think it is important to give my time to different things, and I notice I gravitate towards people who do things that help others out.  Five years ago I gravitated towards people who seemed "popular" or had some kind of status. 

February 2007 at the Race to the Sky dogsled race.  We both still have those coats and hats.


1 comment:

  1. Wonderful changes! I'm jealous that you know your community so well. I hope to do the same someday!

    ReplyDelete